Today, I will be working you through the steps you need to take to bring out the best in your staff. Your business will be made profitable and sustainable only when your staff deliver the results that are expected of them.
1. EMPLOY ONLY THE RIGHT PEOPLE- The first step to bringing out the best from your staff is to employ right from the word go. Do not employ people who you know will not fit into the culture you are trying to build. Its easier for a single bad egg to spoil a truck load of good eggs. You must never employ someone who you know lacks the critical qualities your business needs to grow. Before you employ anyone, make a list of the key qualities that you need for your business to grow. Even if the applicant is excellent in all areas except the key area that you need, do not try to manage. Keep looking
2. TRAIN YOUR STAFF REGULARLY - Training is very important to getting the best out of your staff. I recently did a training on debt recovery for a company that had been having a major debt crises with its customers. Within one week after the training, the staff used the new insights they got from the training to drop the amount of debt that their customers were owing them massively. You must train your staff regularly especially in your business key success driving factor areas.
3. GIVE THEM A CLEAR WORKING GUIDELINE AND SOP - Each of your staff must have a copy of your company standard operating procedure to know how things are done in your organisation. This will eliminate assumptions from your business because as you know, assumptions is the mother of most mistakes.
4. PUBLICLY ACKNOWLEDGE THEIR ACHIEVEMENTS - This is the key ingredient to bringing the best out of your staff. Everybody loves to be appreciated and they love it more when the appreciation is done publicly. This is one secrets that great leaders have mastered. They have mastered the art of appreciating and publicly commending their staff for doing a job well. They will give credit to their staff even if they too played a key role in the achievement. This is a major moral booster for your team.
5. FIRE POOR PERFORMERS IMMEDIATELY - I once fired a staff despite the fact that she was pregnant. I had to get rid of her because she was becoming a bad influence on others. I also wanted her dismissal to be a warning to others that we don't tolerate poor work habits. If you want to get the best from your staff, you must learn to fire the poor performers PUBLICLY and especially those with negative influence on others. And once you decide to fire, you must fire immediately.
6. IMPROVE YOURSELF - Staff work better when they know that their leaders are better than they are. Respect is a key component of bringing out the best in your staff. When you don't develop yourself and you force your staff to improve themselves, it will get to a stage where you will become the stumbling block in your business wheel of progress because your team will be looking up to you for direction and its only personal development that will help you come up with wonderful business growth strategies.
Now, look at your staff and start with the training of your team members and yourself.